Monday, June 24, 2013

Billings, Montana, y'all!

Well, we've made it to Billings!  We're well on our way through Montana and should be in North and South Dakota by the end of the week!  Since I've posted last we've gone from Helena to White Sulfur Springs, White Sulphur Springs to Lavina, and Lavina onto Billings.  Let me catch y'all a little up to date….

Our ride from Helena to White Sulfur Springs was by far the most challenging ride of the tour so far.  Even though it was only a 79 mile ride, the elements made it seem like one of the longest days of my life.  We set out from Helena around 7:30 in the 40 degree temps.  We all thought it would warm up as the sun came out, but things really didn't get better…. they got worse.  By mile 10 my feet were numb from the cold and about that time we turned to head southeast, which brought double digit head winds (and drizzling off and on rain) for hours!  Every break stop we huddled in the van under little blankets and jackets to warm up before we headed back out into the cold.  On top of this, before lunch I also managed to get a flat.  So, by this point we were all getting a little discouraged and ready to just finish our ride for the day but we still had about 40 miles ahead of us.  After lunch I ended up riding alone (most people did) because I just sort of needed time to think and pray and push myself through to the next stop and finally on to our final destination.  During the first leg right after lunch, my joints were sore and tired from the cold and rain, the headwind wouldn't stop, so I just started to get mad.  Not at anyone or anything, just mad because I felt weak and unable to succeed in the task that was set before.  I was struggling to go 8mph on a flat road which created a huge mental block for me.  I began to pray/complain to God and asked Him why on earth He would give these sort of conditions to me and my team on a day when many of us were already tired and physically exhausted.  This has been the first week of riding without a break day in the middle, and our bodies just haven't learned how to respond.  On top of that, there's a cold that's been going around the group so some people have been having to ride in the van for portions of the week.  Anyway, in the midst of my self pity, God was working on my heart.  I began to pray asking God to remind me why I am biking and sacrificing myself physically.  I thought about the situations and living conditions those in Southeast Asia live in and just how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to bike through those headwinds.  The challenges they face on a daily basis are far greater than a headwind and numb feet.  God convicted me of my complaints and I began to thank God for the opportunity He has given me.  I thanked Him for the strength that He has been faithful in giving me every pedal stroke of the way so far and for the hill I was climbing at around mile 55.  The hill really wasn't so bad physically, but mentally not being able to see the top was frustrating.  Once I reached the top of this ridge, the sky seemed to open up.  Throughout the climb the road was woodsy and covered with trees, but as I topped the hill, scenery changed to open fields with ranches and tons of wild violets.  It was beautiful!!  It was such a reward and completely worth every struggle throughout the day.  The sky had cleared, the temperatures were warming, I turned around to see a snow capped mountain behind me (I have no idea where it came from), and the road was compiled of little rolling hills with a tail wind now, complete with the most wonderful downhill ever.  It was awesome.  I definitely got a glimpse of God's beauty during that stretch of road.  I think that might be my favorite way God reveals Himself to me-- through beauty in nature.  I've learned over the last year just how much a little bit of sun, flowers, mountains, music, etc. mean to me and how each of them are a gift from God.  It's been these little glimpses of His beauty that have motivated me through the rest of the week and helped bring me into Billings.

Anyway, I'll keep the rest of the post short[er].  White Sulfur Springs was a neat little town.  We had a chance to swim in a sulfur hot spring pool that smelled horrible but felt amazing!  Afterwards a local church hosted a potluck dinner then took us to see the town's "castle," which is really just a pretty old house with an amazing view.

From White Sulfur we headed to Lavina.  This was quite possibly the smallest town I've ever been to in my entire life.  It was quaint and the people were some of my favorites I've met so far!  The church hosted a potluck dinner one block over from the school and I was able to meet and get to know a couple of families there who were both interested in the cause and also just hearing about our trip so far.  That night while we were sleeping the gym a thunderstorm came through and at about 2:15am the power went off and then came back on which cause the big score board in the gym to rest.  I seriously thought I peed in my sleeping bag.  I've never been so scared in my life.  Looking back it was hilarious, but at the time I was severely annoyed since we had to wake up at 3:30am anyway to hit the road to be in Billings by 9am.

We arrived in Billings on time for the bike clinic that the church that was hosting us was holding as a community outreach event.  Apparently they thought that since we were biking across the country we must know how to fix bikes, therefore they had our entire team signed up to volunteer in the bike repair station.  Past fixing flat tires and oil bike chains, I really wasn't much help.  But the idea of the bike clinic was wonderful!  The church has a great mission and loves serving in their community which was evident both yesterday during the clinic and today during the Sunday service.

On top of being blessed by such a wonderful church this morning, we've also been blessed by a wonderful host home!  Mrs. Nola graciously welcomed all ELEVEN girls into her home for two nights.  She has prepared huge meals that were definitely appreciated and needed and provided a very welcoming atmosphere (including REAL BEDS).  Several of us enjoyed just hanging out in the kitchen helping cook and just talking to her.  Oh, and she always has music playing which is another added bonus (tonight's selections included Frank Sinatra followed by Phantom of the Opera).  This afternoon the pastor, his family, and a few of their friends from church took us out to Cooney Lake for a picnic and tubing on the lake (which I'm horrible at).

So, as I sit her in Mrs. Nola's kitchen, I'm feeling very rested and refueled for another week on the road.  We begin early tomorrow with a 104 mile ride to Forsyth, Montana.  The North and South Dakota state boarders should be soon which is both exciting and sad since I've loved Montana so far.  The people and scenery here have been amazing!  Seriously, I could move here if it weren't for the cold weather all the time.

This post is already entirely too long already.  I have no idea when I'll have internet or even cell coverage again beginning tomorrow morning.  We're heading into the plains where there isn't much of anything apparently…. So, I felt the need to give you one very long post before go all MIA again.

I'll leave you with a few pictures though….. enjoy!

Blessings,
Sara

P.S.--
A few specific prayer requests:
1. The team is still battling a cold so pray for healing for everyone
2. Strength-- that our bodies will be ready to face another week of long rides and that we'll continue to adjust to this lifestyle.
3. That God would be the center of the team and that we constantly remember why we're riding.  It's not about pushing ourselves physically (even though that is part of our physical sacrifice), but rather it's for those in Southeast Asia.

'
    Daria during our ride from Thompson Falls to Missoula  

    So. Much. Wood.
      I just loved this little green house that we passed in Paradise, Montana
  This was a fresh spring that one of our host home's dad's built.  This was our first hot day of riding, so naturally we had to put our heads in the water, too.

              First view of the Rockies!
   the Motherland!

   This storm hit us while we were biking from Missoula to Lincoln, Montana.  The van caught up just in time so we all had to hop in and shuttle to our destination 20 miles away.






My favorite sign.  This was for the hill after my hardest day of riding so far.

  You can't see them in the picture, but these fields had tons of wild violets.
  After the downhill I turned around and saw this snowcapped mountain that seemed to come from nowhere.  SUCH a reward.

  Riding into White Sulphur Springs, Montana
   the "castle" in White Sulphur Springs

 TEAM

 We passed this on our way to Lavina….

 Lavina, Montana
 The church that hosted us
 Lavina School

 Sunrise on our super early ride from Lavina to Billings




 Bike clinic in Billings!
 The lake we went to for a picnic/tubing on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment