Sunday, May 11, 2014

t-minus 3 weeks

On Tuesday the semester came to a close, and tomorrow I'm moving back to Athens to begin Maymester which will run through June 4th.  Early on the morning of the 5th I'll be hopping on a plane and flying directly to Seattle to meet with the team and begin tour.  Honestly, right now these 6 days of summer break I've had have not even begun to repair the physical and mental tole this semester has taken on me.

This semester has brought huge challenges that have taught me that I have limits.  I cannot be at every meeting, make perfect grades on everything, or say yes whenever asked to do something or be somewhere.  I've known for years I have trouble saying no to people, it's just that this semester it has become an issue.  In effort to maintain my perfectionistic, type A tendencies, I have stupidly taken on more than I can handle.  I have survived thus far, but only because I believe God wanted to humble me and show me that I am human.  I've found myself frequently saying yes to everyone except God.  And, when I do say yes to Him, it's more of a "hey God, I have 5 minutes to talk to you while I walk to my first class," rather than actually conversing and listening.  

This brings me to my latest life ambition: to slow down and just be for a while.  These two verses keep running through my head as I think about my self-induced chaos:

"Be still and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

and

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah: 41:10

Actually, I should be honest.  My brain had me convinced that this was once verse that read "Be still and know that I am God.  I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  Even though I got the verses wrong, I got the the content right…. 

Thankfully, tour will allow me to slow down for a little while.  Even though my leadership responsibilities will be a lot more time consuming and stressful than my role as a participant last year, it'll be impossible not to stop and reflect on God's creation on the days I get to bike.  I can't wait to be back on that too tiny of a bike seat, biking the mountains and valleys on Montana and everywhere to the east and west of that state.  I look forward to spending time in community with my team and learning to grow in Christ together as we ride this country one pedal stroke at a time.

However, before I head off for this journey, I have a little less than $1000 to raise.  It was my goal to work and earn all of my funds this year without having to ask for help, but considering I leave in 3 weeks, I am going ahead and mentioning that I do in fact in need help, friends.  Please only donate if you feel lead.  I know many of you have mission trips and adventures of your own, but if you do wish to help me out, I would be very appreciative.  I can wholeheartedly say this is a cause I truly believe in. If you're interested in donating, checkout my donations page on this blog, or contact me.

Until I land on the ground in Seattle, I'll continue to work, study, and ride my bike when I get the chance.  I ask for your prayers for all the above mentioned concerns as I know that returning to Athens tomorrow will bring incredible stress once again.

As always, please contact me if you have any questions about the cause, tour, or where your donations will be spent.

Blessings,
Sara 



No comments:

Post a Comment